28.6.10

The "right" angle plus a little

Jenny Glen and Hemp
This weekend Jed and I lit out to a shedding clinic at Scott and Jenny Glens'.  To say that Jed and I had the least experience there would be akin to saying that Jed didn't look like the other dogs there.  Luckily for us there were no points for how your dog looked or how much experience we had.  To be truthful I was seriously considering jamming out of the clinic.  I thought to myself "Who wants to watch my dog and I waste Scott's time time and embarrass myself in the process? "

As a novice handler I really do take pains to get the hell out of everyone's way and let the "real" handlers do their thing. I could not have been more wrong. The clinic was awesome and among the best things I have ever done with my dog. Scott and Jenny could not have been more welcoming and Scott could not. . . .literally could not have tried to impart more shedding wisdom on me.
There is a lot to getting a shed completed, and to say even that is to diminish the process.  Shedding sounds simple and when done correctly it looks simple.  However, when you are out there on the field, in front of people or not, with 5, 10 or more sheep that have had enough of both you and you dog, all the planning you thought you had doesn't mean a thing.  The shed, for me, was about keeping the sheep where you needed them, far enough away from where you didn't and hoping to ensure everything stayed that way as you shook things up with your dog.
With varying degrees of success It seemed to come together in the end.
To say that I learned a lot at this clinic is insufficient. I took away so many things that apply not only to shedding but handling my dog in general.  Of course like all good clinics there are the phrases you take away that become the comical mantra our was "Get to your corner." To the uninitiated this applies you getting you own feet moving and crossing in front of the group of sheep you don't want and calling your dog through to cover the group you do want.  Manny people had, expectedly, a better grasp of this concept. This fact merely added to the effect the clinic had.  Watching people successfully complete a task you are just struggling to understand let alone complete enhances your own chances of success.  I mentioned at the clinic that is made me bitter -- Envy -- I think it's a deadly sin. . . . It was nice to see everyone and their successes.  Everyone progressed at their own pace and, as some people were starting at different places in terms of their shedding prowess the 3 day format suited most dogs and handlers really nicely.
For myself we started on just --what is it we are trying to accomplish and ended with realizing that Jed and I just needed to settle down a little. (sorry Jed . . .I am the only handler you have) On the final day as the light bulb went off for me the more experienced handlers tried their hands at the marked shed.

Marked sheds resulted in both frustrations and elated cheers upon success from the handlers watching in the shade.

The clinic wasn't at all what I thought it was going to be and couldn't be happier that I went.  The handlers that intimidated and I though would embarrass were helpful and insightful and a pleasure to be around. I reaffirmed friendship and made new ones.   The sheep - - -actually they were pretty much how I thought they would be.   Most of all the hosts of the clinic did a fantastic job.  Jenny did yeoman's work prepping all the meals in addition to the daily chores she already has. As someone who has done a little catering for others I know all too well how stressful that can be. "Did everyone get enough? Did everyone like the food? Will it be ready on time?" As for Scot ?  If you don't know him . . . my condolences. He has a dearth of knowledge and stockmanship that is obvious in his own performance.  What  I  loved about the clinic was his patience and ability to rapidly re-adjust to the different levels of dog/handler combinations he faced.  If you haven't been to a clinic with Scot, then beat the door down to the next one; it was the "right" choice for me and I got more than a little out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment